Online Webinars, Middletown, Armagh
This 2-Day Training Programme will focus on the needs of the autistic teenager. The adolescent years can be confusing and challenging for the autistic teenager and the adults, parents, carers and teachers, who teach and support them. The aim of this two-day event is to empower the key adults in the teenagers life to understand how autism impacts on the teenager, and how they can plan and tailor resources and strategies to prepare and support the autistic teenager.
Day 1 of the 2-Day training event
- Autism and the Teenager: will examine how autism impacts on the teenager and help delegates to prepare the autistic teenager for forthcoming adulthood. The key role of supportive adults will be examined along with ideas and strategies on how to help the adolescent.
- Autism and the Promotion of Positive Behaviour: Autistic adolescents can experience elevated levels of anxiety and stress and this often results in distressed behaviours.
- Understanding the triggers and knowing how to respond effectively is a concern for professionals, parents and carers.
- This part of the training aims to empower the adult plan proactive strategies to defuse rather than escalate a demanding situation for the teenager.
- Understanding and identifying the function of behaviour will be highlighted as the starting point
- . Overview of Day 1 of the two-day event:
- The core features of autism during the teenage years.
- How the autistic teenager thinks and learns.
- Planning and the role of supportive adults during the adolescent years.
- Expected Outcomes for Day 1 of the two-day event Participants will understand:
- How the core features of autism affect the teenagers behaviour;
- The importance of identifying the function of a behaviour and developing a basic behaviour support plan incorporating practical strategies;
- Anxiety and its impact on behaviour.
Middletown Centre for Autism
Online Webinars , Middletown , Armagh