Marino Community Special School, Co. Wicklow, Bray, Wicklow
Autism and the Special School, Sensory Processing
Research has shown that people with autism may experience difficulties with processing the sensory stimuli in the world around them. Where a child or young person presents with additional learning difficulties, these difficulties may be further exacerbated. This course is designed to look specifically at the sensory processing needs of individuals who have autism and other complex learning needs, such as communication difficulties, physical or sensory impairment, attention difficulties and medical needs.
• Gain an understanding of the concept of sensory processing and how this relates to development, attention and learning
• Gain practical ideas for remediating difficulties relating to sensory processing, including problematic behaviours, which stem from sensory seeking or avoiding.
• Understand the importance of identifying the function of a behaviour.
• What is sensory processing?
• Core features of autism and learning difficulties, including comorbid diagnoses/conditions.
• How can difficulties with sensory processing present for children with autism and learning difficulties?
• What strategies can we implement which may help?
• Strategies for management.
Marino Community Special School, Co. Wicklow
Marino Community Special School, Co. Wicklow , Bray , Wicklow