Regal Cinema, Friar Street,, Youghal, Cork
This training event aims to increase parents’ understanding of how autism affects communication and will provide strategies that may help. It will also explore visual strategies which are widely used when living and working with children and young people with autism. The use of visual strategies can have a notable impact on how a child with autism experiences home life, as they help to clarify expectations and make abstract concepts more concrete. Visual strategies support children as they develop effective communication, appropriate social interaction, and positive behaviour skills. These methods are based on the principles of the TEACCH programme and may help parents provide consistent teaching methods.
Parents and family members will have an increased understanding of
• How autism impacts communicative development.
• How autism impacts communicative exchange.
• How to use children’s and young people’s strengths to help them communicate more effectively.
• The reasons underlying the difficulties faced by children in the area of social communication and how to help.
• Understand the importance of visual teaching methods in autism.
• Understand how visuals will improve the learning of the child and their experience at home.
• Develop some visual strategies that can be used to support the child.
Regal Cinema, Friar Street,
Regal Cinema, Friar Street, , Youghal , Cork