St Joseph's Special School,, Tallaght, Dublin
Autism and the Special School, Relationships and Sexuality Education
This session will examine the impact of adolescence on young people with autism and learning difficulties. Participants will be shown how to incorporate behavioural interventions with visual strategies to help teenagers with autism cope with some of the typical issues of adolescence, particularly, if they do not have verbal language or reading skills. The training will provide practical strategies for developing an appropriate and accessible Relationships and Sexuality Education curriculum for pupils with autism and learning difficulties.
• Understand the impact of adolescence on young people with autism and learning difficulties.
• Learn some strategies involving behavioural and visual strategies that will provide supports to adolescents with autism, even those using pre-verbal communication means and limited literacy skills.
• Provide strategies for the delivery of sex and relationships education to students with autism.
• Adolescence, learning difficulties and autism, how does adolescence affect the student with autism?
• How to prepare students for physical changes.
• Some strategies for developing sex and relationships education as a core element of the curriculum.
St Joseph's Special School,
St Joseph's Special School, , Tallaght , Dublin