Visual supports are a communication tool that can be helpful for autistic people.
They can be used in most situations, are adaptable and portable.
A wide range of items can be used as visual supports. For example:
- Miniatures of real objects
- True Object Based Icons (TOBIs)
- Written words
What might tell me that the visual supports need reviewed?
- The child needs reminded of information
- The child is anxious or seeking reassurance
- The child finds transitions difficult
- The child asks questions about what or when things is happen
- You find yourself repeating instruction