Online Training Webinar,
Autism and the Special School: Relationships and Sexuality Education
This session will examine the impact of puberty on autistic young people with co-existing learning difficulties. Delegates will be shown how to incorporate behavioural and visual support strategies aimed at preparing and supporting the autistic adolescent with reduced verbal and or reading skills for the changes that occur during this life stage. The training will provide practical strategies for developing an appropriate and accessible Relationships and Sexuality Education curriculum for autistic students with a learning difficulty.
• Understand the impact of puberty and the adolescent years on young autistic people with a learning difficulty.
• Learn some strategies involving behavioural and visual supports effective for preparing and supporting the autistic young person with pre-verbal communication and emerging literacy skills during this life stage.
• Explore content for the development and delivery of relationship and sexuality education to autistic students attending a special school and in the home setting.
• Puberty, autism, and learning difficulty. How does puberty affect the autistic student with a learning difficulty?
• How to prepare the autistic student with a learning difficulty for the changes (e.g., physical, biological, hormonal, and emotional) that occur during this stage of life.
• Explore some content and resources effective for developing and delivering relationship and sexuality education as a core part of the school curriculum to autistic students attending a special school
This session will examine the impact of adolescence on autistic young people with learning difficulties. Participants will learn how to incorporate behavioural interventions with visual strategies to help teenagers cope with some of the typical issues of adolescence, particularly, if they do not have verbal language or reading skills. The training will provide practical strategies for developing an appropriate and accessible Relationships and Sexuality Education curriculum for students with learning difficulties.
• Understand the impact of adolescence on young people with learning difficulties.
• Learn some strategies involving behavioural and visual strategies that will provide supports to adolescents, even those using pre-verbal communication means and limited literacy skills.
• Provide strategies for the delivery of sex and relationships education, in the family home and in school.
• Adolescence, learning difficulties and autism, how does adolescence affect the student?
• How to prepare students for physical changes.
• Some strategies for developing sex and relationships education as a core element of the curriculum.
Online Training Webinar
Online Training Webinar