Early Intervention Services, Nazareth House, Co. Sligo, Magheraboy, Sligo
Play and Life Skills
Research shows that young children learn best through play and that play skills are important for optimal child development. This training will explore the role of the adult in supporting and extending play skills across settings. The development of functional life skills is important also as these skills will help the young child with autism become more independent and confident at home and in school. Motivating the young child with autism to develop fundamental functional skills can be difficult due to the child’s restricted repertoire of interests and skills needed for learning. This training will identify key skills and effective practical strategies that parents, and carers can use to develop and progress their child’s independence. This training event is for parents and carers of children aged three to six.
Parents and Carers will:
- Explore why developing play skills is fundamental for learning and social engagement for the young child with autism.
- Develop understanding of how sensory difficulties impact on the development of play skills for children with autism.
- Understand why the development of practical functional skills is important for the young child with autism's independence.
- Develop an understanding of how modelling impacts on learning and skill development for the children with autism.
- Explore signs of readiness and how using visual support strategies can progress early functional skill development.
- Explore practical strategies that can help the young child with autism become a competent, confident and capable learner.
This training event will consider:
- The significance of the adult in supporting the child with autism develop play skills.
- Practical strategies and resources that can engage and motivate the young child with autism will be explored.
- What practical skills the child with autism needs to develop for independence in the home and school setting.
- Practical strategies on how to assess readiness, devise plans and implement practical strategies to support development of these early daily functions.
Early Intervention Services, Nazareth House, Co. Sligo
Early Intervention Services, Nazareth House, Co. Sligo , Magheraboy , Sligo