Holywell Educate Together National School, Swords, Dublin
Autism and Anxiety Management
Primary aged autistic children may experience anxiety in many situations, with some experiencing significant anxiety difficulties. For many, school is a major source of stress.
This session is an introduction to strategies that can be used to alleviate the experience of anxiety for autistic children.
This will include:
• An introduction to cognitively based strategies
• How to develop child centred strategies to deal with anxiety.
• Understand how the difficulties experienced by autistic children, including sensory difficulties, can contribute to the development of anxiety.
• Understand how anxiety can escalate and may result in an outburst.
• Develop some simple strategies to prevent the escalation of anxiety.
• Understand the basics of cognitively based management approaches.
• Anxiety triggers and build up.
• “On the spot” anxiety management strategies.
• Developing a “stress kit.”
• Cognitively based approaches and the emotional toolkit
Holywell Educate Together National School
Holywell Educate Together National School , Swords , Dublin