Online Webinars, Middletown, Armagh
Autism and the Special School, Anxiety Management, and the Promotion of Positive Behaviour
Autistic students experience anxiety in many situations, with some experiencing significant anxiety difficulties. For many, school is a major source of stress. Everyone shows their anxiety in individual ways, so the most reliable observations that a student is anxious are going to be made by the people who know the student best. This shows the importance of working closely not only within the family structure, but also with the school staff.
This session is an introduction to strategies that can be used to alleviate the experience of anxiety in autistic students. This will include an introduction to cognitively based strategies and how to develop student centred strategies to deal with anxiety.
• Understand how anxiety can escalate and may result in an emotional response
• Develop some simple strategies to prevent the escalation of anxiety.
• Understand the basics of cognitively based management approaches.
• Anxiety triggers and build up.
• “On the spot” anxiety management strategies.
• Developing a “stress kit.”
• Cognitively based approaches and the emotional toolkit.
Middletown Centre for Autism
Online Webinars , Middletown , Armagh