Catherine McAuley School, South Circular Road, Limerick
Autism and Anxiety for those with additional learning difficulties
For many autistic students, school can be a major source of stress. Everyone shows their anxiety in individual ways, so the most reliable observations that a student is anxious are going to be made by the people who know the student best. This shows the importance of working closely not only within the family structure, but also with the school staff.
This session is an introduction to strategies that can be used to alleviate the experience of anxiety in autistic students. This will include an introduction to cognitively based strategies and how to develop student centred strategies to deal with anxiety.
• Understand how anxiety can escalate and may result in an emotional response
• Develop some simple strategies to prevent the escalation of anxiety.
• Understand the basics of cognitively based management approaches.
• Anxiety triggers and build up.
• “On the spot” anxiety management strategies.
• Developing a “stress kit.”
• Cognitively based approaches and the emotional toolkit.
Catherine McAuley School
South Circular Road
Catherine McAuley School , South Circular Road , Limerick