Scoil Aonghusa Senior National School, Tallaght, Co. Dublin, Tallaght, Dublin
Autism and Anxiety Management
Primary aged children with autism experience anxiety in many situations, with some experiencing significant anxiety difficulties. For many, school is a major source of stress. Everyone shows their anxiety in individual ways so the most reliable observations that a child is anxious are going to be made by the people who know the child best. This demonstrates the importance of parents and family members working closely with the school staff team.
This session is an introduction to strategies that can be used to alleviate the experience of anxiety in children with autism. This will include an introduction to cognitively based strategies and how to develop child centred strategies to deal with anxiety..
• Understand how the difficulties experienced by those with autism, including sensory difficulties, can contribute to the development of anxiety.
• Understand how anxiety can escalate and may result in an outburst.
• Develop some simple strategies to prevent the escalation of anxiety.
• Understand the basics of cognitively based management approaches.
• Anxiety triggers and build up.
• ‘On the spot’ anxiety management strategies.
• Developing a ‘stress kit’.
• Cognitively based approaches and the emotional toolkit
Scoil Aonghusa Senior National School, Tallaght, Co. Dublin
Scoil Aonghusa Senior National School, Tallaght, Co. Dublin , Tallaght , Dublin