Greystones Educate Together National School Co. Wicklow, Greystones, Wicklow
Autism and the Promotion of Positive Behaviour
Children with autism can experience elevated levels of anxiety and stress often resulting in distressed and inappropriate behaviours. Responding effectively to behaviour remains a concern for parents and professionals living and working with children with autism. Early intervention and planning are important to ensure that parents and family members, as well as the child with autism, have an array of proactive strategies to defuse rather than escalate a demanding situation. This session will examine how an understanding of autism can influence interactions and thus the behaviour of children and challenge the term, “Challenging Behaviour”.
• Understand reasons for what we see as inappropriate behaviour
• Learn practical strategies for recognising early warning signs and making positive interventions
• Recognise the “Rumbling, Raging and Recovery” aspects of behaviour and what we as practitioners can do
• Understand the behaviour and anxiety bank account
• Clarity of information, including expectations and procedures.
• Consistency: A healthy, strong home school partnership is vital.
• Common sense: Remembering that sometimes the most effective is also the most straightforward and easiest.
• Continuation: Keeping the teaching and the positive supports in place to continue to help the child to develop effective life skills
Greystones Educate Together National School Co. Wicklow
Greystones Educate Together National School Co. Wicklow , Greystones , Wicklow