Scoil Naomh Eoin, Navan Co. Meath, Navan, Meath
Autism, Learning Style and the Impact of Visual Teaching Methods
Visual strategies are widely used when working and living with children and young people with autism as they:
• Complement the learning style of many with autism.
• Can be introduced alongside other intervention strategies.
• Are adaptable, portable and can be used in most situations.
The use of visual strategies can have a notable impact on how a child with autism experiences family, community and school life, as they help to clarify expectations and make abstract concepts more concrete. Visual strategies support children as they develop effective communication, appropriate social interaction, and positive behaviour skills, as well as accessing the curriculum.
This session will cover why visual teaching methods work. Parents will become more familiar with how their input will reflect a sound evidence base and be more able to adapt the home environment and individualised tasks to meet the needs of the child, in order, to enhance learning, play or leisure skills and social interactions.
Parents and Family Members will:
• Understand the importance of visual teaching methods in autism.
• Understand how visuals will improve the learning of the child and their experience in the family home.
• Develop some visual strategies that can be used to support their child
• Why visuals work for children with autism.
• Using visuals in the family home
• How to develop visuals and implement visual strategies.
Scoil Naomh Eoin, Navan Co. Meath
Scoil Naomh Eoin, Navan Co. Meath , Navan , Meath