Gaelscoil de hÍde, Oranmore, Galway
Autism and Transitions
Transition refers to the time when we move from one stage of life to another. Within education, this includes the transfer from Preschool to Primary School, Primary School to Post-Primary School. Such transitions are some of the most important stages of life and can have an impact on future development and achievement. They bring changes and disturbances to routines, which can cause anxiety and stress, especially to children with autism. However, with the right support and thorough planning, children can prepare for these changes and enjoy as smooth a transition as possible.
This session will examine why children experience difficulties when faced with a transition to Pre, Primary and Post Primary School and discuss how developing a greater understanding of transition, with practical approaches to support children on their journey through school and beyond, offers the child the chance of future academic and social success. Within this session, the importance and design of a planned transition programme and the role of the education professional in this process will be examined along with ideas and suggestions as to how best prepare not only the education setting but also the parents and child.
• Understand why transitions are difficult for children with autism.
• Understand that it is critical to plan and have a strategy around key transitions in the child’s day and in the child’s life.
• Develop simple transition plans and supports around key areas.
• Gain an understanding of available support during transition.
• Gain knowledge of personalised support to children and young people.
• Learn how to cope with emotional distress caused by transition, such as stress and anxiety.
Course Overview / Content
• Transitions and why they are important.
• Potential key transitions in life and in the school day.
• Preparing the child.
• Use of Communication Passports.
• Developing a transition plan.
• Effective communication with home.
Gaelscoil de hÍde
Ard na Mara
Gaelscoil de hÍde , Oranmore , Galway