Coláiste Pobail Setanta,, Clonsilla, Dublin
Autism and Transitions to Adulthood
Transition refers to the time when we move from one stage of life to another. Within education, this includes the transfer from Preschool to Primary School, Primary School to Post-Primary School and ultimately Post Primary School to Adulthood. Such transitions are some of the most important stages of life and can have an impact on future development and achievement. They bring changes and disturbances to routines, which can cause anxiety and stress, especially to young people with autism. However, with the right support and thorough planning, young people can prepare for these changes and enjoy as smooth a transition as possible.
This session will examine why students experience difficulties when faced with a transition to Post Primary School and then the preparation for transitioning to Further/Higher Education or work settings. Discussion will include how developing a greater understanding of transition, with practical approaches to support students, offers the chance of future academic and social success. Within this session, the importance and design of a planned transition programme and the role of the parents and education professionals in this process will be examined along with ideas and suggestions as to how best to prepare not only the education setting but also the parents and young person.
• Understand why transitions are difficult for students with autism particularly the pressures inherent in Post Primary transitions.
• Understand that it is critical to plan and have a strategy around key transitions in the student’s day and life.
• Develop some ideas and strategies that will promote positive Post Primary transitions.
• Gain an understanding of available support during transition and opportunities after school.
• Gain knowledge of personalised support to young people.
• Learn how to cope with emotional distress caused by transition, such as stress and anxiety.
• Have an understanding of the importance of a planned transition.
Course Overview / Content
• Transitions and why they are important particularly through Post Primary School and after.
• Potential key transitions in the student’s life and in the school day.
• Preparing the student.
• Use of Communication Passports.
• Developing a transition plan and reasons for such.
• Strategies to promote positive transitions.
Coláiste Pobail Setanta,
Coláiste Pobail Setanta, , Clonsilla , Dublin